Why Does Microsoft Flight Simulator Keep Crashing?

Will Critchlow Guest

Lately, I've embarked on (or at least attempted) several flights. However, I've encountered a nagging issue. The software seems to crash intermittently. Has anyone else experienced this with MSFS 2020? I'm curious: What might be the primary factors causing these unexpected crashes?

Are there any known incompatibilities with certain hardware configurations or driver versions?

I've heard a lot about the role of system RAM (Random Access Memory) and GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) in the smooth operation of flight sims. Could these be the culprits?

With all the intricate graphics and world data, could internet speed or bandwidth bottlenecks contribute to these shutdowns?

Lastly, are there any patches, updates, or tweaks within the simulator's settings that could help alleviate this issue? Eager to understand the underlying cause and looking for ways to ensure a smoother flight experience. Appreciate any insights from the community.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

It's frustrating when you're eager to embark on a flight, and the software doesn't cooperate. Let's dive into some of the potential reasons and remedies for these intermittent crashes you're experiencing.

1. System Requirements:
MSFS 2020 is, without a doubt, a resource-hungry application. Even though you mentioned RAM (Random Access Memory) and GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), it's essential to ensure that your system meets, if not exceeds, the minimum and recommended requirements set by the developers. If your hardware is on the lower end, it might be a significant contributing factor to these crashes.

2. Graphics Drivers:
There's always a chance that outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can wreak havoc. From my knowledge, both NVIDIA and AMD periodically release optimized drivers for popular titles, including MSFS 2020. Make sure you're using the latest versions. Moreover, avoid beta drivers as they may not be as stable as the official releases.

3. Add-ons & Mods:
Many flight sim enthusiasts (myself included) love to use third-party add-ons and mods. While they can enhance the experience, some might not be optimized for the latest version of the sim or could clash with each other. Consider deactivating them one by one to pinpoint if one is causing the crashes.

4. Internet Connection:
Yes, you're on point. MSFS 2020 relies heavily on streaming data, especially if you have the "Live Data" feature enabled. Any inconsistencies or reductions in bandwidth might lead to performance issues or crashes. Try running a speed test to check the stability of your connection.

5. In-game Settings:
While the game can auto-detect and set the graphics and data settings based on your hardware, sometimes tweaking them manually can yield better results. Consider lowering graphics settings or disabling features like real-time weather or air traffic to see if it stabilizes the game.

6. Software Updates & Patches:
The developers are continually working on improving stability and performance. Ensure your sim is updated to the latest version. Keep an eye on the official MSFS 2020 website for patch notes and updates.

7. Hardware Conflicts:
There have been reports of specific hardware configurations causing crashes or conflicts. Regularly updating motherboard, sound card, or other peripheral drivers can sometimes solve these compatibility issues.

Conclusion:
Crashes in complex simulations like MSFS 2020 can be attributed to a myriad of factors. The community is an excellent resource for shared experiences and solutions. It's all about a process of elimination, and with a bit of patience, you'll be back in the skies in no time!

Safe flights and clear skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...