Troubleshooting MSFS Launch Error: 0XC0000005 with DVD #1 Inserted

GULLIVER Guest

Dearest Ian, I hope you remember me, your old friend Gulliver… the FSX enthusiast…All summer I never opened MSFS and I only flew with my indestructible and very reliable FSX. Yesterday I tried to reopen MSFS to download any updates but, after about 25 seconds, an error message " 0 X C 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 " appeared. I made several attempts but every time I got the error. Note that DVD #1 is always inserted into the PC and has never been removed from the same player. I also tried taking it off and putting it back on but no results. Can you help me, please? I'm waiting and thank you with sympathy. GULLIVER.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello Gulliver,

Of course, I remember you! It's always wonderful to hear from fellow simulation enthusiasts, especially from someone as passionate about FSX as you are. Your particular situation regarding the error with Microsoft Flight Simulator is, unfortunately, not uncommon, but let's see if we can find a solution together.

Error 0XC0000005 is a general access violation error. This error often suggests a problem in the memory space that the application tries to access. There could be multiple reasons for this issue, ranging from hardware problems to software or driver conflicts.

1. Update Graphics Drivers: Outdated graphics drivers can often lead to errors like the one you're encountering. Make sure your drivers, especially if you have an NVIDIA or AMD GPU, are up to date. You can visit their official sites (NVIDIA or AMD) for the latest driver versions.
  2. Run as Administrator: Navigate to your MSFS executable file (typically found in your installation directory). Right-click on the executable and select 'Run as administrator'.
  3. Compatibility Mode: Right-click on the MSFS executable, go to 'Properties'. Under the 'Compatibility' tab, check the box that says 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select a previous version of Windows e.g., Windows 8. This step can help if there were any updates or changes to Windows that may be causing the issue.
  4. Reinstallation: As a last resort, consider reinstalling MSFS. But before that, ensure you've backed up any add-ons or custom liveries you've installed.
  5. Hardware Check: While FSX might run smoothly, MSFS has different system requirements. Make sure your PC meets the minimum (or ideally, recommended) specs for MSFS.
  6. Disc Check: Since you mentioned your DVD #1 is always inserted, it might be worth inspecting the disc for any visible scratches or damages. Additionally, a quick cleaning of the DVD might be a good idea to ensure no dust or residue is interfering with the reading process.

If you've already tried some of these solutions or if they don't work, it might help to have more specifics about your system's hardware and software setup. That way, I can give you a more tailored solution.

Remember, with software as intricate and detailed as flight simulators, issues can arise due to a myriad of factors, but there's almost always a workaround. From my knowledge, the error you're encountering isn't specific to Microsoft Flight Simulator but can also occasionally surface on platforms like X-Plane 12. The above solutions, especially those related to system settings and drivers, can apply there as well.

Awaiting your feedback, and always here to help. Safe virtual skies, Gulliver!

GULLIVER Guest

Dear Ian.Your answers are very welcome to me and I await them with great curiosity and interest, because I know that there is someone up there who listens to my requests, sometimes absurd, sometimes naive or extravagant.I think you will be understanding if I confess my disappointment with MSFS, not so much because of its highly imperfect technology (too many problems) but above all because the generally splendid scenery is very often incomplete and sometimes even just wrong.For example, there are airfields that do not exist in FSX but in MSFS they are present but with some cars parked inside the runway or taxyway.I will wait for something to change, perhaps with the arrival of MSFS2024, hoping that it will be a really ok product.Thanks again and best regards.Gulliver

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...