rudder pedals

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Hi guys Group Wave

Well, i have just won some rudder pedals on Ebay for my amazing fs9. 🍻

I felt i had to have them after i experienced my first real flight where i realised just how much they were needed.

I use a yoke already, but just wanted to ask whether any of you guys use a yoke and rudder pedals and how much it enhances your experiences. ❓

Would love to hear your experiences etc 👏

Micah

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

I use CH Products Yoke and Rudder pedals. They are great, they make it so much more fun. 😀 I also have a Logitec joy stick.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

the yoke so far has been amazing, just hope the pedals live up to it too.

Anyone else got their views on their setups etc??

Feed into this one guys 😛

Andy2005 Guest

Hi guys
DO rudder pedals make it easier or harder? I've always found it hard to taxi the older aircraft or land helicopters, but I've always put it down to not having rudder pedals. What are rudder pedals like in these situations?
Sorry about not really answering your question. I'm just curious about them and am considering getting some. Thanks in advance.
Andy 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

Right now i only have a twistable wingman joystick, but i'm looking into buying a yoke and pedals.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

the yoke is awesome, as you really do get the true feeling of flight, it responds to your touch the way it should.
It has a hat button on it too, so that you can have a real good look around and take in the views.
the pedals will make taxiing so much easier and also when i need to slew off some speed it will really help.

Micah

PS, found out recently my wife is pregnant, and im going to train my first child to be my co-pilot, have them sitting on my knee flying an A321 in no time at all!! 😂

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Andy2005 wrote:

Hi guys
DO rudder pedals make it easier or harder? I've always found it hard to taxi the older aircraft or land helicopters, but I've always put it down to not having rudder pedals. What are rudder pedals like in these situations?
Sorry about not really answering your question. I'm just curious about them and am considering getting some. Thanks in advance.
Andy 🙂

On the larger aircraft the rudder pedals work great. On the light aircraft they are a little harder to use, but after you get used to them they are really easy and fun. 😀

Hi all,

What a great forum this is! Lots and lots of information for beginners such as myself.

Having said that, here's a tip for those of you who want fly with uncoordinated rudder and who don't have special rudder pedals, but do own a racing wheel with throttle and brake pedals.

If you plug in your racing wheel before starting FS, it will show up together with the joystick in the assignments and sensitivities menus. Delete the assignment for the wheel axis, so that it won't interfere with the use of the joystick, and assign the rudder to the pedals. You might also want to switch off the force feedback of the wheel. And don't forget to uncheck autocoordination. It worked for me. Have fun.

Peter.

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Yoke and Pedals are the only way to go. If you are struggling at all, go to the sensativities menu, and tweak them to your feel.

Fighters (prop or jet) require a good stick.

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

I use CH Yoke, Pedals and the Throttle Quadrant and together these are a mean (cool) combination!

Micah - You'll love the Pedals, they were last on my list but they are great - Taxiing is a lot easier.

You can see how good the pedals look on the pic in my signature!

.... and they feel better than they look !

😉

I' ve never seen such an awesome computer arrangement. What are the two screens for?

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Hi Guest,

The smaller one on the left is for Instruments.

In other words I 'unlock' the Throttle, FMC, ATC Box, etc, and drag them over to the secons screen.

Then it means you don't need to use pop up boxes on the main screen 😂

alanrv8 Guest

You really need to checkout the Cirrus pedals....the CH ones are JUNK....NO WHERE NEAR real ones ergonomically and mechanically. You rest your heels on the floor of the plane in real life when using the rudders.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Cirrus pedals are $600 dollars. 😳

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Micah wrote:

PS, found out recently my wife is pregnant, and im going to train my first child to be my co-pilot, have them sitting on my knee flying an A321 in no time at all!! 😂

Seems the rest all skipped over this Micah (😛 to 'rest'), but congratulations with the pregancy! 👍 (well, your wifes pregnancy that is, of course..)
Hope all will go well, and be sure to grab every minute of simming, while you still can... I bet the amount time you have to yourself will be greatly reduced soon Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I use the CH Flight Yoke, CH Throttle Quadrant and the CH Rudder pedals. The pedals will make your flight experience more realistic not easier. Now you will have to coordinate your turns with the proper amount of rudder. Watch the ball in the Turn coordinator and maintain a centered position(step on the ball). Jets have a small "puck" under the index pointer on the ADI or attitude indicator that serves the same purpose. That's what we what, realistic. It will give you independent toe brakes. Rudder pedals are not as important in jet aircraft for normal flight but used more extensively in propeller aircraft. Rudder pedals are also necessary to execute a proper crosswind landing. They also make taxiing more realistic. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

Rudder pedals are not as important in jet aircraft for normal flight...

Would you mind clarifying this.

If I have the yoke but no pedals -- does it mean I have no rudder? 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

In normal turns, normal climbs you don't use the rudder in a jet as much as with propeller aircraft. You don't have P factor, torque, gyroscopic precession or a spiraling slip stream to contend with. Adverse yaw,the main reason for the rudder, is also much less on a jet. You still need the rudder for crosswind landings and of course single engine procedures but in general, the rudder is required much less in a jet. You will not miss the pedals as much if you only fly jets. The Piper Cub really requires the use of the rudder. I still recommend pedals for all aircraft. 🙂

You have a rudder but either you are using Auto Rudder control within Flight Simulator or you have another means of controlling the rudder such as a twist action joy stick. You could also use your keyboard. None of which is realistic. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

You have a rudder but either you are using Auto Rudder control within Flight Simulator or you have another means of controlling the rudder such as a twist action joy stick. You could also use your keyboard. None of which is realistic. 🙂

Thanks for the prompt reply. Let's forget about the joystick and the keyboard and autorudder.

Is it possible to control the rudder independently using the yoke only?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

No, you can't. On the ground you can't even taxi with just the Yoke or standard joystick, without Auto Rudder. You might be able to assign a switch or lever to control the rudder axis but that would be awkward also.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Okay that clears up the yoke question.

On the ground you can't even taxi with just the... ... standard joystick, without Auto Rudder.

That's strange... I've just checked to make sure. I use a twist-handle flightstick, autorudder is always disabled.
The heavies taxi quite nicely using the twist action (this could be due to the fact that they have turning wheels), but so do other add-on a/c originating back several years when the authors weren't concerned with equipping their creations with turning wheels.
I can only conclude that it's the rudder that makes the a/c steerable on the ground with those older, less sophisticated aircraft.

Any thoughts?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

On the ground, with a twist action joystick, the twist movement is just like pushing on a rudder pedal. The nose wheel steering is interconnected to the rudder on the ground. That's why you can taxi. If you had a regular joystick(Auto Rudder-Disabled), you'd lose the nose wheel steering interconnect. You could move the rudder but not the nose wheel steering.

Most modern aircraft have steerable wheels. Some don't. The Grumman Tiger for one has a free castering nose wheel. You steer by differential braking and rudder. The Vega(historical plane in flight simulator) does not even have a wheel on the tail, just a skid. It's possible to steer on the ground with just rudder but it takes large amounts of power to direct air over the rudder to make it effective on the ground. The steering would not be very good and even unsafe near buildings or other aircraft. I don't think it would even work on a jet. If you have two or more engines, you can use differential power and differential braking ,to turn if you lost nose wheel steering.🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

So, just to recap:

On the ground you can't even taxi with just the... ... standard joystick, without Auto Rudder.

...but:

On the ground, with a twist action joystick, the twist movement is just like pushing on a rudder pedal... ...That's why you can taxi.

No doubt, I'm confusing the whole issue.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...