Computer Overheating???

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

On my old computer that I used to list below in my signature is acting funny. What happens it out of no where my computer will just restart. Now I have one cooling fan that is running good and is clear of most dust. So I took the side panel off and wiped a lot of it clean of dust. This mainly happens when my house gets hot. It is also in the corner of my living room. So I movesd it to the other side of my desk so there can be air flowing to it. So i'm waiting to see if it will restart again on random. So can someone tell me why this might have happened? Thanks.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Dust, not enough circulation, hot weather, it could use a fan in the rear.
FS9 is very graphic intensive and very hard on a machine. Especially an older one.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well the only fan is on the top of the tower. The fan blows air out of the cpu. But this doesnt even happen when i run FS though.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Jared,
Although the causes Radarman listed are the most common, I had the same problem a while ago - it turned out to be spyware. Try to run a spyware scan to see if that helps Wink

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Chris102 I ran my McAfee Anti-Spyware and my computer is good. Ill run my Norton Anti-Virus tomorrow and see how that goes.But i dont know wut else.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

jared, I have 4 fans but its still overheating after flying low alt (graphics intensive) for 30 min.....
its in my basement, the AC cannot reach there.....so i guess what happens to you is normal....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Hello Jared

If this causes from a spam i could suggest you ,except your antiviruses programms ,to run also a programm like ''spy- bot'' or something familiar cause sometimes the antiviruses programms doesnt spot some spams.

Greekman72

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Have you tried this ➡

Speed Fan

Click on Speedfan 4.25

This monitors your temp and fan speed.
What sort of cooling do you have on the processer? If it's not spam it could be your heatsink and fan.

Let us know how you get on. If it's your temp is to high I can help you out

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Hello Jared

If this causes from a spam i could suggest you ,except your antiviruses programms ,to run also a programm like ''spy- bot'' or something familiar cause sometimes the antiviruses programms doesnt spot some spams.

Greekman72

I have symantec anti virus and Ad Aware anti spyware. Actually this computer is dedicated for FS2004, I dont use it for web browsing or anything else......
but i still scan the with with these 2 programs periodically.....

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

Liono wrote:

Have you tried this ➡

Speed Fan

Click on Speedfan 4.25

What sort of cooling do you have on the processer? If it's not spam it could be your heatsink and fan.

help me out too, please......maybe my prob is the same as jared's....
I have the intel temp monitor that came along with the system. I do see the needles move up to the yellow zone.......with the full screen simulator I dont see the temp monitor, but i guess it shoots to the red when doing graphics intensive flying....sometimes I can see a red cursor on the screen before it shuts down, so if I am quick eough to pause the simulation when seeing this red cursr it wont shut down and hopefully cool off a bit......
both my cpu and 9800 have fans on them......besides, I have one fan at the front to suck in cool aiir, one fan at the cpu area to pump out the heat, one PCI turbo fan beneath the videocard fan to take out the video card heat......and of course the fan in the power supply.......4 fans.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Nottobe

Ad-aware is a nice programm and helps to clean up your registries and manage your start up list,your installed programms etc....
But spy-bot(and some familiar programms)is more deticaded to spot spams in your system.Although if you dont use your PC for web browsing you dont exposed so much in danger as others did.
Anyway... if you like you can download it ,update it and run it just in case....Its a secure programm,i use it more than 1 year and never have had problems.

I will suggest to be carefull with the settings of speed fan.Maybe you use it to improve your pc speed and decrease temps but with wrong settings the results may be the opposite.Thats what a friend who use it told me.

Greekman72 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

nottobe wrote:

Liono wrote:

Have you tried this ➡

Speed Fan

Click on Speedfan 4.25

I have the intel temp monitor that came along with the system. I do see the needles move up to the yellow zone.......with the full screen simulator I dont see the temp monitor, but i guess it shoots to the red when doing graphics intensive flying....sometimes I can see a red cursor on the screen before it shuts down, so if I am quick eough to pause the simulation when seeing this red cursr it wont shut down and hopefully cool off a bit......
both my cpu and 9800 have fans on them......besides, I have one fan at the front to suck in cool aiir, one fan at the cpu area to pump out the heat, one PCI turbo fan beneath the videocard fan to take out the video card heat......and of course the fan in the power supply.......4 fans.

I know this sounds like overkill but put a fan to take out the heat on the grid in back. It'll cost a few $ and you'll see the difference.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

I have a fan to take the air out though. I don't have one blowing in.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

nottobe wrote:

Liono wrote:

Have you tried this ➡

Speed Fan

Click on Speedfan 4.25

I know this sounds like overkill but put a fan to take out the heat on the grid in back. It'll cost a few $ and you'll see the difference.

Radar

You can have as many fans as you won't and it might still continue. What I'm getting is what temp is the cpu operating at. A normal CPU should be operating at 30-40C. I had the same problem last week, mine was operating at 90C. All I did was change my cooling fan and replied some more compound .
If your CPU is runnning really high all the extra fans in the world won't help.

The solution

1. Change your Heatsink and cooling fan.
2. Take off and add some more compound.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...