rolling takeoffs

Pro Member Trainee
paramesh Trainee

Hi everybody i would like to share a different tpoic for a change

There is nothing like the feeling of a rolling takeoff. When the pilot gets ATC clearence before reaching the Hold point on the taxiway, and therefore taxis onto the runway in a graceful non-stopping routine. One minute you are taxiing and the next minute its throttle up. What do you all think about rolling takeoffs? please share ur experiences.

thanks

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Hello
I allways try to do a rolling takeoff
As i have added more traffic I allways have to wait behind a line of aircraft before I get position & hold,then just smoothly roll forward and hope that the aircraft that has just taken off contacts ATC before I reach the hold point,
If you want more realistic traffic try this
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/726/project-ai-v25/

Also there are a couple passenger view takeoff & landing vids(one hell of a bumpy landing) here

http://www.atcbox.com

rich_bro Guest

when u download them and install them are they then just present in your AI aircraft folder and just come up on the screen?

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Rolling takeoffs can be great - get into the skys as fast as possible. I still always enjoy placing full brakes on the runway and powering up to full and releasing - gives a better sense of acceleration.

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

Rolling takeoffs are actually recommended by some airlines. It takes a good pilot to do one well, and although I've taken more than 500 flights (real ones, that is) only a handful actually do it. It's a buzz!

It makes sense for a lot of reasons, enviro-friendly, time efficient, cooler brakes (in case of abort). I say practice it - it's satisfying to actually get it right! 😂

Pro Member Trainee
Jim Glockner (jimmyglockner) Trainee

FlyAway, I never even thought about hold full brakes until full power and then releasing for takeoff. I will try that today. As far a a rolling takeoff, I have had the chance to try that a few times. It is a great feeling to transition from taxiway to runway and keep right on rolling. It is a thrill for sure.

Happy flying all.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member Trainee
Mediatech Trainee

I just tried that site but get an error link, is it the right address for the realistic traffic. I copied it below from Tomthetank.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/726/project-ai-v25/

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Thats the right link; tried it and it works for me - whats the error message you are getting?

Pro Member Trainee
Mediatech Trainee

When I tried the site, it said that the page was unavailable error, on another attempt this morning, it gave me the same message but it supplied a link to the main page and it worked well. Thank you for the site info.

Pro Member Trainee
JOSEREY Trainee

HI
I FLEW FROM HEATHROW TO KUALA LUMPUR LAST YEAR AND WE TAXIED UP TO THE RUN WAY DINT STOP JUST TURNED ON TO IT AND THROTTLED UP OND OFF WE WENT WHAT A RUSH THE POWER CHANGE WAS AMAZING ITS GREAT I RECOMEND IT ITS GOT TO BE DONE ON FS2004 FOR THE CHALLENGE.

Pro Member Trainee

Joserey, thanks for the input. However, please do not use all caps. It is the same as yelling.

Happy flying.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Yeah, rolling takeoffs can be helpful to get away from a incoming aircraft. I was flying my Luftansa Concorde from Grand Rapids MI. They cleared a Cessna for landing, and cleared me for takeoff, well, little did I know, the Cessna was about 600 feet from the runway when i headed out there, and my co-pilot, good ol Dad, happened to see it. Well, he punched the throttle and we hauled outta there right in time, the Cessna didn't have to go around. It was pretty neat.

Pro Member Trainee

FEM, that is neat! I'll have to try that myself sometime.

Happy flying.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Yeah, but you just gotta be real careful, cause if you mess up, you'll wind up getting rear-ended by a none too happy plane.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...