Problem with altitude hold

Nero89 Guest

When i disengage altitude hold, sometimes the plane pulls up really sharply into around 5-10 degrees of climb. It then takes me about 500-1000ft of climbing to recover the plane and bring it down again. would somebody be able to tell me why it does this?

Nero89 Fly's:
------------------------------------------
Virgin Blue 737-700
Qantas 'Yananyi' 737-800
British Airways 747-400
Atlas Air 747-400

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

This is just a guess but I would say you don't have the plane properly trimmed out for level flight prior to engaging the altitude hold. If you are in climbing trim or you have increased speed since engaging altitude hold it would naturally increase altitude when disengaged.

Nero89 Guest

Even when i press the button to center ailerons etc. before disengaging altitude hold it still sometimes pulls up.

Nero89 Fly's:
-----------------------------------------
Virgin Blue 737-700
Qantas 'Yananyi' 737-800
British Airways 747-400
Atlas Air 747-400

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Centering the controls does not trim the plane to fly straight and level. That is done with the trim controls. Again, I'm guessing, but it sounds like you are in takeoff trim which the plane will naturally climb even at cruise power if not trimmed out. I think you need to trim the plane for level flight using the elevator trim control before you engage altitude hold. If properly trimmed it shouldn't climb or descend (except for maybe minor trim adjustments) when you disengage the altitude hold.

Nero89 Guest

i know its not the most professional thing but i dont even use trim. I just, takeoff & climb and then put autopilot on- then disengage autopilot for the final approach. I dont even make any turns by myself except for the ones on approach (and on the ground of course). Therefore i never use trim.

pearlygatesuk Guest

I have experienc ed the same problem. What you'll probably find is that when you take off you select the autopilot straight away. So when you disengage the autopilot, your pitch reverts to what it was on take-off if you follow me. A simple way of avoiding this (thought not strictly speaking correct) is to set the altitude hold switch on the ground and then at about 170kts (in a boeing or similar aircraft) engage the autopilot.

Hope this sorts the problem

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Trim is your friend, not your enemy. A properly trimmed aircraft is much easier to fly.

We each get out of FS2004 what we want to get out of it, but I would suggest you go to the lessons section of the flight sim and you will learn more about flying if you are at all interested in learning to fly.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

When you select the autpilot, it will trim the aircraft out for level flight.

Some aircraft systems will revert back to the orginal setting before the autopilot was set. For this reason, trim the aircraft for level flight, then set the autopilot.

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

No it's not the trim at all, this happened to me today with my meljet 777, after asking the ATC to decrease the altitude and decreasing altitude a little, the plane was fine again. I don't really think its anything to do with the trim.

Nero89 Guest

yeah, next time i get the chance i will fly the lessons because now that i think about it, i wouldnt mind having the abilities to do more flying manually, instead of relying on the autopilot so heavily.

Nero89 Fly's:
------------------------------------
Virgin Blue 737-700
Qantas 'Yananyi' 737-800
British Airways 747-400
Atlas Air 747-400

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...