fs2004 altimeter settings

kevinbeck Guest

whenever i go to fly at someplace that has a very high elevation, ATIS always says the altimeter setting is 29.92. how do iget that changed so that i dont take-off into a mountain? I would really like to have the right altimeter settings so that i can calculate altitudes and set autopilot altitudes. very weird, if anyone has any inputs, would appreciate the help.

thank you-

kevin

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Press the B key to get corrected altimeter settings.

i try that but atis says it is always 29.92.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Anonymous wrote:

i try that but atis says it is always 29.92.

That is not your altitude setting, that is the barometric pressure for setting your altimeter. Click on the map and look at the airport, it will give the altitude of the airport there. If barometric pressure changes it changes your altimeter since they work off of barometric pressure.

Pressing the B key will correct your altimeter if it is incorrect.

how can i set my autopilot if the altitude is more than o feet? do i just add from current elevation? 5,000 elevation means that when i take-off, and they tell me to climb to 9000 feet, i just add 9000 to 5000? i just cant understand that.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

If where you take off from is 5000 feet your altimeter should read 5000 feet and if they tell you to climb to 9000 feet then you would climb until you reach 9000 feet (which would be 4000 feet from where you took off. All references to altitude is from sea level, not from what the altitude was where you took off..

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

If you use one of the games' default weather settings, pressure will always remain constant. If you want variations depending on where you're flying use real world weather. That way, whenever you're under 18,000ft pressure will vary. Just remember that above 18,000ft your altimeter must be set to 29.92
As already stated, this is NOT your altitude. This is the barometric pressure registered at your location. It is given to you by ATC so that all planes flying in that area have the same altimeter settings.

Regarding the altitude question...It doesn't matter what the airport altitude is, if ATC tells you to climb to 9000ft you just set 9000 in your autopilot (make sure you have the correct barometric pressure) and flyaway. If you requested a higher flight level ATC will not clear you all the way to tht altitude....you will have to "step" climb waiting for atc clearance.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

See if this helps (WARNING: shameless self promotion)

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8090/altimeter-2992/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...