Could someone help me understand this noble sport

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I'm curious about the game of Cricket. How is it played. It looks like baseball, but with a canoe paddle for a bat.

Thanks a lot in advance for the info.

Alex (FEM)

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Ah the wonderfull game of cricket. Where to begin..............................

OK a Test Match last's for 5 days consisting of a min of 90 overs. Each over consists of 6 balls. Each team consist of 11 players + a sub (12th man) The team that is bowling (Pitching) has to get out the team that is batting. Once the batting team is out the bowling team goes in and try's and beats the other teams score.

Once both teams are all out the team that batted first goes in again and so on.

Here are some usual sites of interest ➡

The offical English Cricket site
Offical Supporters site
Laws of Cricket

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

That made it perfectly clear. Next someone will ask about bangers and mash. ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol

at least we don't have a game that we play "The World Series" when there is only one country playing in it 😀

Cricket is rubbish tho tbh

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

There used to be two countries eligible, but they couldn't make any money in Canada.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

lol

at least we don't have a game that we play "The World Series" when there is only one country playing in it 😀

Send a team over, I'm sure we could find a little league team to play them. 🙄

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

I have been waiting for someone to ask about cricket one day, and now someone has. 😀

Cricket is New Zealand's most popular summer sport so we are pretty into our cricket.

Liono described about test matches, and I will give a quick rundown about 'One Day Internationals' (ODI's), may also be known as a 'one dayer'.

An ODI has only 50 overs, instead of the unlimited amount in a test match. There are only 1 innings per team, and most of the rules are the same.

A major difference is the clothing, in test matches they only wear white clothes, however in ODI's they can wear coloured clothing.

Hopefully this isnt too confusing FEM, it's quite hard to explain to someone who doesn't know much about the game. By clicking some of Liono's links, you will probably find some much easier to read/follow rules etc. of cricket. 😂

Thanks,
Jarred 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Insight wrote:

lol

lol

If we had a team 😀

Why is it called "The World Series" though?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hey F_E_M,

are you sure you want to pursue this? I've just done a bit of research : Heino has never attended a cricket match in his life let alone held a cricket bat in his hands - same goes for Rammstein. Apparently they concentrate on more serious activities between gigs like partying and everything else that goes with it.
What happened to you anyway?? Once upon a time you seemed to be a fairly balanced individual with interests such as FS, Heino and Rammstein and certain activities strongly influenced by pyromania and suddenly...

It's the woman in your life, isn't it. Don't take me wrong, the first time I saw the picture in your sig I couldn't take my eyes of her (NO! it had nothing to do with the fact that you're in the picture too).
She looks beautiful and kind and I've always had great hopes that you both would end up as a permanent item (until FS does part you) as they say.
But I'm having my doubts now. If she wants you to learn about cricket, then, who knows what'll be next...?? A word of warning : Women and computers share a quality that in the end will cause hairloss...
Secret ...they have their way with men who, after all are mere mortals.

"...this noble sport" ?? Someone's brainwashed you, FEM someone's told you that cricket is played by the angels in heaven - don't listen to it!! It's not too late - there's hope for you yet!

If the lovely lass in your picture is indeed not the culprit then I apologize and I hope you will pass my apologies on to her.
But do go and see your therapist about this cricket thing 😳 Tee Hee

Regards,
Rick Lee

Pro Member Trainee
mickwill Trainee

Errm - why ar you wanting to known the rules of cricket? it will only confuse you!

Have a look at :

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/sport/cricket/ashes_terms.html

There is also a ton of links for the terms used.

Perhaps you could explain "American Football" ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Insight wrote:

lol

lol

If we had a team 😀

Why is it called "The World Series" though?

There are two leagues, in 1903 they decided to have the team that won their respective leagues "pennant" compete.

Since you were so busy loosing India we had to play the game amongst ourselves LOL.

Most of the teams today have players from all over the world, many from South America, Japan, Korea, Taiwan. Mexico, Canada.

As you have seen in the few games that have been held at the summer Olympics other countries can't "field" a competitive team against us and we aren't even sending the top professionals, $20 million a year guys don't seem to be interested in a gold medal.

The game never caught on in Europe like cricket hasn't caught on here.

I'm sure that some other baseball aficionado will have much to add to my meager explanation.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Ok if we end from this lets start discuss about Badminton. 😀 ...They have made a badminton field im my country(Olympic Games need it)and they thought that it will be attractive for the next generations...and it was so attractive that after 1 year they turn it into a basketball field 😉 ...As about crickets fields...They are perfect gardens now... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Don't worry Tailhook, I'm still hardcore into Heino and Rammstein, with extreme influences of pyromania of which my better half (who does, actually, want to be a permanent item, as far as I know) actually enjoys watching. So it's all good. I was just curious about it. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Don't worry Tailhook, I'm still hardcore into Heino and Rammstein, with extreme influences of pyromania of which my better half (who does, actually, want to be a permanent item, as far as I know) actually enjoys watching. So it's all good. I was just curious about it. 😂

I must say I'm relieved... as long as you don't set her on fire Fear

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol we didn't really want india anyway 😛

Besides, our version of your sport we have girls play, its called rounders..

just like you have girls play what you call 'football' when our Rugby players do it properly without all the shoulder pads and crash helmets 😀

heheh

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've heard of "rounder's" but haven't ever seen it. Do they stop after 7 innings for crumpets? ROFL

As for Rugby I doubt that it's played a viciously as these big $ players here do it. With all of the specialty gear they wear the injuries are and can be bone crushing (literally) or worse, career ending.
I thought once a year some of our teams went across the pond for exhibition games. Do you have a special team to play them or ours play against each other.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

lol we didn't really want india anyway 😛

Don't jump to conclusions, Insight - I just whipped up a chart based on FEM's profile and this is what I found :

In a previous incarnation FEM was an Indian Prince having and most likely entertaining 7 wives, 18 minor wives and 204 concubines.
Unfortunately the handsome young prince died prematurely (of physical exhaustion according to the official records).
The aftermath as you can imagine was a huge bonfire.

Better keep these findings conceiled from FEM's girlfriend Censored

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I believe we have an American Football team here and a few basketball teams

I was kidding of course but Rugby is still bloody brutal, they don't go in any softer cos they don't have padding on... and there are of course still injuries..

lol sometimes in the scrums if you look carefully you can see them punching each other under there - you have to be pretty mad to play Rugby, a friend of mine's boyfriend plays it and some of the stories she has told me about things that have happened to him / he has done to people in games are quite shocking to say the least hehe

lol, why do you yanks think we always eat crumpets? 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

I must say I'm relieved... as long as you don't set her on fire

Nope, she just likes to watch. Although she CALLS herself a pyro, just sitting there and looking at the fire doesn't really count. I set the ground rules for a true pyro a long while ago.

To be a true pyro you must: (^) indicate the ones I have done

1. Blow a butane fireball in front of a teacher and recieve no negative reprocussions (^) Mr Koster doesn't really care what I do with fire so long as it doesn't involve one of the other students

2. Make an explosion that produces a mushroom cloud and suffer no radiation poisioning (^) I have pictures

3. Light your hand on fire (NO GLOVES) for 2 seconds using Alcohol/Hand sanitizer. (^)

4. Perfect the technique of lighting your coat on fire using tinfoil, sterno/gasoline, and a long sleeved shirt (^)

5. Have over 35% of your body engulfed in flames. (^) I did this with 50% of my body, my shoes and pants up to the belt were on fire while I was standing. (NOTE: the flammable material does NOT have to be spread on 35% of your body, if the flames stand high enough to cover 35%, you're good.)

This also deserves a new signature. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

lol, why do you yanks think we always eat crumpets? 🙂

Whenever I see an English movie they are waiting for their afternoon "tea and crumpets"

(Well maybe not every movie. 😁 )

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

what's a crumpet? Is it a cookie type thing? Do you dunk it in your tea?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

um

to be honest I have no idea what crumpets are made of..

you toast them, and then spread butter on them.. and they are actually very nice

i've done 1, 3 and 5 by the way 🙂

the 5th was a prank to scare a few old people that went a bit wrong when I was 14 and involved large portions of me being engulfed in flame

1 was a bit of a variation where I lit a gas tap in my science class and sent a 9 foot jet of flame across the class room scorching several peoples books..

I extinguished it immediately and the teacher turned round and didn't even see...

after a minute though she smelled scorched excercise book and investigated further

lol @ Radarman...

Pro Member Chief Captain

See, I would do that, but Koster learned very very fast to NEVER allow me near the gas nozzles.... 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...