Help finding the right video card...

Pro Member Trainee
Nathan (MeatBall27) Trainee

So I went to Circuit City and bought a NVIDIA Geoforce4 MX 4000 for like 70 dollars or so. I started of with 15 FPS and now I am getting at best 3 FPS.

Can someone please help me find a GOOD video card for a cheap price, I would really like to get at least 40 FPS... on High Detail.

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks....[/img]

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Getting good frame rates is more than just the video card, you also have to have enough computer to get the most from FS2004. What are your computer specs.

You said you were getting 15fps and now are only getting 3fps. What changed? It sounds like you have something going on besides the video card. 15fps isn't good but why are you now only getting 3fps?

Pro Member Trainee

Compaq Presario SR1300NX Desktop PC - Product Specifications

Product number
PP195AA
Introduction date
12/03/2004

Hardware
Base processor
Sempron 3000+ 2.0 GHz:

333 MHz Front side bus
Socket A

Chipset
Via KM400A
Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: A7V8X-LA
Compaq motherboard name: Kelut-GL6E

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 256 MB (1 X 256) I HAVE 2x 256 NOW
Maximum allowed 1.0 GB (2 X 512 MB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMM
Speed supported PC2700 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Two
Open DIMM slots One
Hard drive

60 GB
7200 rpm

CD-RW drive
48X/32X/48X
Type Attributes
Write 48X
Rewrite 32X
Read 48X
Modem
PCI K56flex data/fax modem
Video graphics
Integrated with up to 64 MB allocated video memory
Sound/audio

* Controller: AC97 audio

Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader

* USB interface
* Supports the following cards:
o Compact Flash I
o Compact Flash II
o SmartMedia
o Memory Stick
o Memory Stick Pro
o MultiMediaCard
o Secure Digital (SD)
o Micro Drive
o XD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)

External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
9-in-1 (4 slot) + 1 USB One
IEEE 1394 One
USB Two
Headphone One
Microphone One
Line-in One
I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS/2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
VGA (monitor) One
Parallel One
Serial One
USB (2.0) Four
IEEE 1394 One
LAN One
Audio One each (line-in, line-out, microphone)
Expansion slots (total)
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (two available)
AGP One (available)
DIMM Two (one available)
Drive bays (total)
Bay type Quantity
5.25-inch, external Two (one available)
3.5-inch, external Two (one available)
3.5-inch, internal One (occupied)
Keyboard and mouse

Compaq PS/2 productivity keyboard
Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)
Compaq PS/2 scroller mouse

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

You could use more memory, 512 isn't all that bad depending on what all you have running in the background, but can be too little if it's being used up buy other programs. I GIG would be better.

I don't know how much free space you have on your hard drive, if you are running short there might not be enough for the virtual memory needed.

I'm not familiar with your video card, I use ATI, but there are those here who use the brand you use and I'm sure they can comment on your card.

I'm still curious as to why your frame rates have dropped. If your video card was capable of 15fps it should still be able to get 15fps. That is why I am wondering if there are programs that have been installed and running in the background since you were getting the 15fps.

Pro Member Trainee

No I dont think that I have installed anything new, I even lowered all the detail settings and yet I still get about 3 FPS. I dont know what the deal is but it is very frustrating....

Wait... I just remembered that I installed that NO CD Crack, I wonder if that has anything to do with it....

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I don't know of any reason the NOCD crack should cause your problem. I've used it with no problems at all. What about the patch, did you install it? It adds some detail that might cause a marginal card to slow down, I'm not sure.

As far as a recommendation on a card the ATI9800 is a good comparatively low priced card. I don't think you will find one for $70 dollars but you should be able to find one for around $100.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...