Old vs. New

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

After flying the newer stuff for a while, I decided to go for a flight in the Ford Trimotor. Went from Detroit to Marquette MI, using real weather. That one certainly makes you appreciate the autopilot. Went through some snow showers and turbulence but pretty uneventful otherwise. Kind of a fun flight overall but flying in real time with no autopilot makes for some real work. Anybody else enjoy flying the old timers?
-Dave

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im not only enjoy but love ❤️ old crafts.
But i have to admit that autopilot is needed some times... 😉

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Most of my flying is in tail draggers if that tells you anything. I enjoy the older planes, including biplanes especially those with radial engines. I never use auto pilot even when it's available.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Warhawk wrote:Most of my flying is in tail draggers if that tells you anything

Punk Punk Punk 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

crash_deplane wrote:

Anybody else enjoy flying the old timers?

Been doing it for years and always will. Another reason why I treat FS as a Game, I can fly a Heavy and a Bi-plane all in one day. Juggle 😀

Guest Ed Guest

crash_deplane wrote:

After flying the newer stuff for a while, I decided to go for a flight in the Ford Trimotor. Went from Detroit to Marquette MI, using real weather. That one certainly makes you appreciate the autopilot. Went through some snow showers and turbulence but pretty uneventful otherwise. Kind of a fun flight overall but flying in real time with no autopilot makes for some real work. Anybody else enjoy flying the old timers?
-Dave

I enjoy flying the old ones, but not if I need to go very far. A long, slow trip without A/P can get pretty tedious.

I mention this from time to time: I actually rode in a Ford TriMotor back when I was a kid (~1960 or earlier, I guess). My dad took us on Island Airlines from Port Clinton, Ohio, out to one of the islands in Lake Erie.

Island Airlines is recreated in FS09, by the way, as one of the historic flights, called "1935, Island Airlines."

What I remember about the flight is that we took off from a grass strip, and the old plane rattled and shook like it was going to fall apart before we ever got off the ground. And it was seriously LOUD!! And it was made out of corrugated aluminum, so it looked like a chicken coop with wings. 😂

Ed

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Decisions, decisions, I had the chance to go up in a Ford tri motor but chose the 1927 New Standard biplane instead. The skin on the tri motor always reminded me of corrugated barn roofing. In their time they were good airplanes though.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...