How to use DP and STAR?

manogol Guest

I´d like to know if DP and STAR are used in every IFR flight or only in specific circumstances when in real-world navigation. I have used them in FS2004 by establishing the waypoints in the flight plans but ATC doesn´t give me the corresponding vectors. Who knows why?

On the other hand I´d like to know how to apply the energy management lessons, because ATC doesn´t let me descend in accordance with the criteria they teach, when in IFR flight. Anybody could help me?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Well, there's a good chance that ATC isn't programmed to allow for that. Do you get one of those "please expedite your decent to bla bla bla" messages? The best thing to do as far as practicing that is an VFR. What are you flying anyway? If it's a jet, its easier to use energy management. Get back to me on this one, it's interesting.

Good Luck

Pro Member Trainee
Blazin21 Trainee

Well i can answer if there used in real world naviagation always and the answer is no. No pilot has to accept a Star or DP. (In real world when you file your flight plane you can put NO star or DP.) Sometimes the DP or Star has specific ALts you have to get to at certain time and well some of the smaller planes just can't climb that fast so they allow us to not have to do them at that point you just get vectored most likly.

Pro Member Trainee
Jim Glockner (jimmyglockner) Trainee

It is interesting to hear from a real pilto now and then. Their input is very valuable. However, real world flying does not always hold true when sim flying.

Happy flying all.

JimmyGlockner

manogol Guest

Thanks, guys. Regretfully I can´t devote myself either to internet or to fly. But it´s never too late to answer, and I will assay all your tips right away. I fly a boing 737 ... when my children let me.

By the way. My last session was a traffic pattern over Phoenix Sky Harbor, and ATC didn´t give me the altitud of the pattern. Do you know where I can find the corresponding indications about? Anyway I´ve flown the pattern at 4000 feet and landed within the directions of ATC, which was very exciting.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

manogol wrote:

Thanks, guys. Regretfully I can´t devote myself either to internet or to fly. But it´s never too late to answer, and I will assay all your tips right away. I fly a boing 737 ... when my children let me.

By the way. My last session was a traffic pattern over Phoenix Sky Harbor, and ATC didn´t give me the altitud of the pattern. Do you know where I can find the corresponding indications about? Anyway I´ve flown the pattern at 4000 feet and landed within the directions of ATC, which was very exciting.

Is this of any help to you.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPHX

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...