Cowl Flaps

What do they do? What do I need to do with them? 😀

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I hope that this is enough, if not please ask for more.

http://www.stoenworks.com/Tutorials/Cowl%20Flaps%20%26%20Engine%20C.html

If the aircraft is equipped with adjustable Cowl Flaps:

Cowl Flap Position Control - Cowl Flaps are opened during high power/low airspeed operations like takeoff to maximize the volume of cooling airflow over the engine's radiator fins. They are closed during normal cruise flight to maintain normal engine operating temperature and minimize drag.
Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge - Indicates the temperature of the cylinder with the least cooling airflow. A Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge has a much shorter response time than the oil temperature gauge so it can be used to fine tune the engine's power output. Engine overheating may be caused by:
Running too long at a high power setting.
Running too lean on the fuel mixture.
Restricting the volume of cooling airflow too much.
Insufficient delivery of lubricating oil to the engine's moving parts.

Radar

Thanks! I'm pretty new to the 'Sim and while the tutorials are really good, it's hard to find a couple things (like cowl flaps).

I'm making all the rookie mistakes (such as feathering too early on landings and trying to land 10 feet off the ground!). But I just landed an Air New Zealand Beechcraft 1900D into Rapid Valley, South Dakota - in a downpour without bouncing - with the crabbing technique. What a rush!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sounds good, practice, practice, that's the way I'm learning also.
You did a great job with weather like that. 👍

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Keeping the cowl flaps closed during descent also keeps you from damaging the engine. It prevents shock cooling which can crack the cylinders, heads, and crankcase.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...