hard land

When landing i always make a hard land for some reason. I use the autopilot to desend to 500ft then i disengage it and fly the rest myself but as soon as i land the front just bangs straight down! ive even had sparks fly off when i fly a boeing 777

i set speed to about 180 knot - 140 knots and about 500ft desent rate with flaps fully retracted. what am i doing wrong?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

It sounds like you aren't flaring at all and actually have a landing descent rate of -500fpm, which is far too heavy.

That rate is fine for a descent on the glideslope, but when you get towards the threshold of the runway, your descent should become more and more shallow until you cut power at about 50ft AGL and pull back on the yoke to slow your descent rate to around -150fpm for landing. Don't pull back too much or you'll start to climb a bit and possibly stall.

Hope that helps - let us know how you get on 😉

thanks it seems to be better but ive only tested two flights!!

landing is a controlled crashed....I really learned by practicing, you have to learn to "feel" the aircraft, is almost like you have to let it land on its own, no rapid movements, I end up using the throttle very lightly to control a soft touch down.....

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

1 more thing guest. Dont land with aoutopilot because it can demage all ur landing, and if u flying the B777 landing speed is 155 kts, try the VSI to 200 or 150 not more, thats called a nice kiss landing. Whats VSI for ppl that dont know is Vertical Speed Indicator.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

about 500ft desent rate with flaps fully retracted. what am i doing wrong?

full flaps needed - more lift at slow speeds so you can keep the nose down to see but also land softly at a lower speed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Learn with small planes, then work your way up.

I love how people start to fly with 777's and 747's.

dvorak Guest

Start with a small plane like a Embraer 170

Dont rely so heavily on autopilot, disengage it further out

Its a hard transition from autopilot to manual, and doing it so low down could be dangerous, espcially if winds were problem

Make sure you dont have full fuel or near to it on landing, it wont help at all

Flare back to about 5' pitch, no more or you could get a tailstrike (beginners seem to think this is impossible for some reason??)

Remember when descending, aim for the runway numbers, not the very beginning of the runway, and when you fly over the beginning of the runway (you should be about 20ft above the ground at this stage) start a slow, gentle steady flare, your descent rate should lessen, your speed should decrease and you should touchdown softly, and apply a little back pressure on the stick to stop the nose wheel from crashing down suddenly, but be careful if you land too fast when applying pressure that you dont end up going up again.

Also dont apply too much back pressure even if your speed is slow, because this will result in the nose wheel not going down, just staying still, basically doing a wheelie down most of the runway, until you lose too much speed for it to be supported and it will crash down very hard on the runway.

Pilau Guest

Start with the Cessna Skyhawk!
➡ I just love GA!

dvorak Guest

Pilau wrote:

Start with the Cessna Skyhawk!
➡ I just love GA!

Good idea, I like GA too.

Oh yeah, and when I say start with a small plane, I dont mean the LearJet, its a disaster to get used to at first, very sensitive, can be jerky unless handled well, bad beginner choice, but a nice plane to fly when you get the hang of flying, landing etc

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

As previously mentioned you do not want to retract the flaps you want to extend them as prescribed by the aircraft manufacture. I played around with the Cesna and Barons it is a hole lot easier to landing when you have a 1 ton aircraft than with a multi-ton aircraft. Another thing it appears as though you are trying to make a three part landing, not good witha large aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Start with small craft, what I used was FS Passengers system, so I started out with a Mooney Bravo, then a Pilatus PC12. Next was the Beechcraft 1900C and D. Then I started flying my first Jet, which was the Cessna Citation X, then I bought my most advanced plane to date is the ATR-72, lots to do while flying. Still haven't got a passenger jet though. Dunno if I will until FSX.

But back in the day I always tried to fly the big jets right away, and I never learned how to fly properly.

Using slower craft is nice because everything goes a little bit slower so you have time to figure out it, with a fast jet everything is going by so fast its hard to do everything right if you don't know what to do in the first place.

Now there's a professoinal traning program! 👍

Pilau Guest

By the way the above post was mine

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...