A solution to sound problems! Finally

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

😀
Sorry to keep harping on about sound guys, but I thought I'd share this with everybody, as it stopped me from enjoying this fine piece of software for a long time.
Anyone who is having continuing sound problems, after following all other advice, maybe this is for you. I had no jets, no gear noise, no ATC or pilots voices etc.
I found the problem to be due to unloaded audio codecs, which although were present on my PC were not recognised as such. They were the IMA ADPCM and Microsoft ADPCM codecs. Here goes (instructions for XP Home, should work on other OS)

1. Go to Control Panel > Add Hardware > Next
2. Click "Yes, I have already connected the hardware" > Next
3. Scroll right to the bottom of list, choose "Add a new hardware device"
4. Click "Install hardware manually" > Next
5. Scroll down and choose Sound, video and game controllers > Next
6. Click "Have disk..."
7. Browse to c:\windows\system32 and click on "mmdriver" then choose OK.
8. Then choose the "Microsoft ADPCM audio CODEC"
It should install and inform you that it needs to restart computer. Click finish, but don't resart computer just yet.
Now follow steps 1 to 7 again, and this time choose the"IMA ADPCM audio CODEC"
This one needs to be loaded from your Windows XP CD.
When done, restart the computer, and fire up FS2004, and hopefully, jets will ROAR out of your speakers, and warning sirens will wail etc.etc.
Now I've sorted that out, can anybody tell me where I can d/l an English pilot's voice???
Many thanks for your time!
Steve 🙂) 😁 👏 😀 😂 Hack
P.S. I remember seeing a picture in the gallery of a jet taking off from a runway in a huge crater! Does anyone have the airport code for this?? Ta.

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Clap I'm glad to see that you have the sound problem under control and I want to thank you for sharing the solution with us, now the next member that's in the same situation will have a workable fix.

🤔
A jet out of a crater, I can't place it. Dont Know
I remember an airstrip in Mexico that took some mighty fancy flying to get out of but the strip wasn't long enough and the walls were to high for a jet to get out.

Radar

sammy_9 Guest

Had the same problems and that HUGE part of info saved me from loosing my hair. Thanks a lot.

And btw this works for all related microsoft related games (i had the same problems with other microsoft games and that fixed it)

Thanks again

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Glad to be of help.
Having full sound really adds another whole dimension to this simulator!

goodvibe Guest

I searched all over the web and this was the only thing that work for my sound issue. thansk for posting it saved me tons of frustration.

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Brilliant!
Maybe someone could post this on other forums if they are members, as I think this is a widespread problem for games and DivX files.
Actually... I could do that. 😕

Elkin Guest

I cannot find the IMA ADPCM audio CODEC file on my disc.
I have an emaschine that has 3 'restore discs' Windows XP is the os.

Can you help with this?

Elkin Guest

OOoooo K!

I'll take no answer as a resounding- ' n o ! '

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Elkin,
I never saw your post before now. See if this helps you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142731

Radar

Elkin Guest

Danke sehr 'ol friend.

Pro Member Trainee
Seideric Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

:

🤔
A jet out of a crater, I can't place it. Dont Know
I remember an airstrip in Mexico that took some mighty fancy flying to get out of but the strip wasn't long enough and the walls were to high for a jet to get out.

Radar

RadarMan, Are you maybe thinking of MXA9 in Mexico, or maybe SESM in Equador. You had me burning a few holes in the wall at MXA9.

Also RadarMan I have written the developer of the PC-21 he sent me a copy of the PC-21 it was still messed up, so I told him what was wrong. He said Opps that he sent me an old copy and resent a new PC-21. Just flew it out of SESM and MXA9 with it, the gauges are fixed!!! I am writing him asking if we can post it on https://flyawaysimulation.com I will tell you more as I learn his answer. '😀'

First was the PC-12, now the PC-21, now I will fly my Goose out of them!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That was really nice of him to do that, I hope he does let us post it in our download section, I'd like to get a full copy of it.
Good work and it was the Mexico crater.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Ah, I was thinking of SESM in Ecuador.
My LearJet doesn't like that strip! Seems to appreciate the rockface though.
Must try MXA9 to see if I fare any better with that one. (Are these real airports???)

Pro Member Trainee
Seideric Trainee

Have not found much on MXA9 in Mexico, but I believe they are both real but as to why some one would put an airport at the bottom of a crater is beyond me. That is why I looked them up trying to find out why someone would put an airport at the bottom of a crater.

Here is a link to SESM in Rio Amazona, Equadore

They are differnt from each other in how you get out. SESM you can spiral out of if your plane can make tight turns or slip and do a 180. MXA9, I just use raw power.

I try to take off and land from both directions. I am not very good my repair bills are a bit high but no crashes landing yet, al least at SESM or MXA9...

Next one I try is SABA do not any thing about it, but will let you know.

A cessna is Hard (at least for me) to get out of MXA9. Good luck Steeev!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Last night I flew out of a small dirt strip in Burkina Faso (?) Sebba DFES. I turned on the ATC and asked for the nearest airport list, only 1 came up. DFES.
I turned around and went home. Dont Know

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...