FS9 747 Stall

Fire_Emblem, I am creating a new topic here so 747 stall can be discussed.

POST FROM PREVIOUS THREAD:

"I like the 747 also but I have run into some real issues with stalling at cruise alt. One minute I am at overspeed!! and then I am completely stalling with just a tweak or less in the controls between the two conditions. I am sure the real A/C must not be as touchy?? I have crashed the FS2004 747 almost every time I have attempted to fly it."

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

The deal with 747 stalling is really weird. I cruise up to about 20,000 no problem and and then request an increase in alt. of five or 10,000 to flt. lvl. 25/30. I rotate the nose and throttle up a bit and I then get 'OVERSPEED.' In addition, the pitch seems to be out of control also as I then correct and 'STALL.'

I have checked the attitude and pitch and additional items and still it slips down into an incontravertable stall. It's like the 747 doesn't want to climb above a certain altitude?? The feel of it is that generally the air feels so THIN that the A/C wont climb or stay in the air at all. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks a ton for any advise,

PH Guest

One thing to cosider is your weight.....aircraft weight! Most heavies will step to final cruise alt. ie cruise at FL250 until light enough to climb to the next step. All in the operating manual in the real a/c....you may be able to find a specimen sample on the net.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Sorry for my delay in replying, i went to bed 😛

Do you have the Autopilot on for one thing? Or are you doing it manual? If you have the autopilot on, dial in whatever altitude you want, and the aircraft will show a initial climb rate of 1800 feet. Set this to around 13-1500FPM. Also, don't forget that whatever airspeed you have indicated is in KIAS, or Knots Indicated Air Speed. What that means is it's the speed of the air flowing over the wing, not your actual airspeed. Open up your GPS and look in the bottom left corner where it says G/S...that's your ground speed. Also, you can look at the Mach numbers, a fully loaded 747 can easily cruise at Mach .85...You can try to set the autothrottles too, but don't forget to dial in the Mach Number, not Knots, or you will overspeed.

If you are flying manual, gently raise the nose and add a little power, enough to keep your speed. I mean, if you are trying to climb at 2,000Feet Per Minute, (FPM) You are doomed to faliure, because at those altitudes, you just cant do that.

I hope I addressed the problem, if not, let me know so I can narrow it down and help you better!

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Fire_emblem,

You are right it is an airspeed/rate of climb issue. I will follow your prescription and see what happens. Thank goodness for the forums so we can pool our collective knowledge of FS9. More info here on Fly Away than on the Microsoft site.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...