Carriers in FSX

Pro Member Trainee
Ben (psalm10720) Trainee

I loaded FSX Deluxe with SP1 then Acceleration Pack and I cannot find any carriers other than the one tutorial and when in that I cannot get one to come up on the map or GPS.

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Microsoft did that on purpose. Start a flight at Norfolk on friday 12:30 and a dummy carrier will be there (no cables/cat) and then replace that in simobject/boats with vm_carrier_high_detail_sm

Pro Member Trainee
Ben (psalm10720) Trainee

I had purchased Flight Deck IV from Abacus for FSX so I am goint to try the F/A 18 with the carriers in that add-on.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I hope everything will run smoothly once you've installed FD4 - why shouldn't it.
You might turn into one of 'those' who refuses to fly anything that cannot land on a carrier. 😀

Pro Member Trainee
Ben (psalm10720) Trainee

Well having spent 2500 hours in a P-3, I doubt that but I did do a trap one time in a COD. What a rush.....

btw, have you tried X-plane?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

psalm10720 wrote:

btw, have you tried X-plane?

Negative - the last time I ogled the X-Plane box on the shelf I didn't even have a DVD drive.

...but only the other day I thought what if...? I was reading that you could run X-Plane on a Mac and even under Linux.
I'm getting a bit fed up when I read that even those with new, powerful rigs still have issues with DX10 and what not.

Pro Member Trainee
Ben (psalm10720) Trainee

Can you please explain in a little more detail what you meant about the post concerning the hidden carrier?

Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

there are carriers at certain ports and they are there untill a certain time then they leave port and follow a route. i couldnt flind them either and i found a program that gives me a fleet of ships including 2 carriers. all you do after you install it is go to free flight fly over the water, click on add ons on the top of your window and select the type of fleet you want. you can put them on your postition or at a waypoint and then you can control there movment. the cat and wires all work. just go to avsim.com and go to the file library and search for "aicarriers2" download it and have fun...hope this helps.

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

or lets not download!

Start a session:

Norfolk NS
12:30 PM
Friday

Any season. Just take off and then fly ahead/behind you (forgot which or just slew) and you'll see a carrier with working ball/cat/cables.

Its because the S.S. Nimitz docks at Norfolk NS at 12:30 Friday - 12:30 Saturday at Norfolk NS, Virginia IRL and Acceleration is very real.

Pro Member Trainee
bisonburg Trainee

I have downloaded Abacus FlightDeck4 FSX update into my FSX directory. I cannot find any Abacus flights in my FSX flights listings. Can't find Navy jets anywhere.

Still trying to land on carriers is FS9. Can anyone help?

Pro Member Trainee
Ben (psalm10720) Trainee

If you go to Abacus website and look at the tech support section you will find add-ons which relate to catapults. I believe the Carrier name is USS Carl Vinson. If you search after adding the add-ons search for airport USS Carl Vinson you should find them.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

bisonburg wrote:

I have downloaded Abacus FlightDeck4 FSX update into my FSX directory. I cannot find any Abacus flights in my FSX flights listings. Can't find Navy jets anywhere.

Still trying to land on carriers is FS9. Can anyone help?

To find the flights you have to go to the 'Select a flight' menu, then 'Choose a category' (probably Abacus Flight Deck 4), and then you can choose a flight.

The FD4 Navy jets can also be individually selected under Aircraft manufacturer / Abacus Flight Deck 4.

DO NOT miss out on the well written PDF User's guide:

Start / All Programs / Abacus / Flight Deck 4 / ...

Pro Member Trainee
bisonburg Trainee

I tried all of the above (thanks) and read all the documentation for AbacusFlightDeck4_FSXUpdate3. It will not transfer over to the FSX program, anywhere.

Since I have more dollars than sense I bought and installed FSX Acceleration Expansion Pack. I had trouble with install (authorization)and had to unistall FSX and reinstall. Did the trick. I can only comment on the carrier operations, except for the tiny HUD, I am enjoying it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

bisonburg wrote:

Did the trick. I can only comment on the carrier operations, except for the tiny HUD, I am enjoying it.

So are you saying that your FD4 is installed properly now? Regarding the size of the HUD -- that's all you really need... if it were any bigger, you'd end up in the drink.

However... you could search the file libraries for fighter aircraft with tailhook and/or for special panels that have been equipped with a CAT launch switch.
Some of those, both aircraft with integrated panel or seperate panels do have larger HUDs. I can't give you any links for FSX as I have them only for FS9.

I personally find the 3rd party fighter jets better than the FD ones but this is a matter of taste.

To clarify the above and spell it out: In order to use FD, you do NOT have to use the FD aircraft. Basically, you can land any tailhook equipped aircraft to land on FD. If you want to use a 3rd party aircraft for one of the FD flights - such as ...take off in the Bay of Bengal at night... or whatever it may be, just select that flight in FD, (use any FD aircraft), and once you've loaded the flight (you're on the deck) change the aircraft only to the aircraft of your choice.

Pro Member Trainee
bisonburg Trainee

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am saying FD4 is installed and running fine.

I just want to upgrade FD4 and fly with FSX (with the help of the Abacus website free upgrade to FSX). Didn't take.

Oh well, I just have to wait and install FD5.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...