Airline Pilot Training - Hopefully?

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Well I am anticipating some negative comments to this post but having read through the rules for the "Off Topic" forum section I hope I am safe.

I have been here for a while and in real life I am hoping to make my way in the avaiation industry as a pilot. I completed my JAR- PPL this time last year and have been studying the ATPL manuals since. Some of the older, mature members will be familiar with Oxford Aviation Academy, as it is now known. I am hoping to get a place there for my flying training. I am in work at the moment and currently finishing academic studies in scotland for an HND in mechanical engineering.

The one snag though is the fact I have to piece together £70, 235. I can take a bank loan to cover £50,000 but I have a £20,000 defecit I need to make up. I will be working this summer to earn cash but I wont be able to earn that amount and my parents are not in a financial position to assist me.

www.donate2me.net

I was wondering if anyone was willing to donate anything, even 1p, via paypal as it all adds up. I realise many people may wish to reply to this post in a sinical manner but I hope mabye some good can come from this post. I have pieced together a website with links and more information if you are at all interested.

Thank you for reading this post even if you are not interested! 🙂

Answers 24 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

When you are done donating to him, send me some money too... I don't need it for flight school... I just need a beer...

kidding... good luck with that sir.

Pro Member First Officer

Haha, so I am not the only one in need of donations. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

I think this is the first person I have seen that has posted a topic so he wants us to send him money for flying. We dont even know you so you can use the money if some of us were gullable enough to send it for something else but w/e I aint going to spend much time on this topic. I wish you the best of luck but I suggest doing it the old fashion way and working for it or if your self which you said you were but so what if you cant raise that money in one summer LOL. It could take years and years for this to happen but if its something you love then I think that you will work as hard as you can for this.

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

bawls327 wrote:

I think this is the first person I have seen that has posted a topic so he wants us to send him money for flying. We dont even know you so you can use the money if some of us were gullable enough to send it for something else but w/e I aint going to spend much time on this topic. I wish you the best of luck but I suggest doing it the old fashion way and working for it or if your self which you said you were but so what if you cant raise that money in one summer LOL. It could take years and years for this to happen but if its something you love then I think that you will work as hard as you can for this.

i agree you cant pursue your goals without hard work and devotion but the best of luck to you and hope you reach your goal

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

You could always do what that fella in the states did on ebay...
Started with a paperclip, swapped it for a pen, swapped that for n old vacume cleaner etc etc. guess what? he ended up with a house at the end of it!!!
Kinda a long shot though 🙄
Best of luck as well

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

warlord40 wrote:

You could always do what that fella in the states did on ebay...
Started with a paperclip, swapped it for a pen, swapped that for n old vacume cleaner etc etc. guess what? he ended up with a house at the end of it!!!
Kinda a long shot though 🙄
Best of luck as well

Funny that, I was just looking at GWR 2008 at that same thing a couple of minutes ago.....

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Just a thought, but how do you plan to fund repayments on the 50k borrowed from the bank?

Pro Member First Officer

Thank you for the replies from everyone. Yes I realise that it may take time for my ambition to become a reality, with which I have no problem. I am, however, desperate to commence the training before I get older, with more commitments etc.

To answer the question to the HSBC loan issue. OAA have a special agreement with HSBC for a special rate loan for students on the APP first officer training program. You do not have to start paying back the loan until 6 months after the completion of the loan. Although it does not take a genius to work out that it would be better to start paying it off as soon as you start earning. The loan comes with a reduced interest repayment scheme, you still pay back alot of money but it would be well worth the money in my opinion.

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Fair enough, didn't realise there was a scheme in place anyway

You should have a read of this very good book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Save-Karyn-Bosnak/dp/0552151653/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210886158&sr=8-1

www.savekaryn.com

She was the original person to try the idea of setting up a site to ask for donations to her personal cause

Pro Member First Officer

Yes I read about her a few years ago although I have not read the book. I am sure that there are quite a few books about her now and how she built her success. I realise since then there has been an explosion in the number of websites similar to hers, but I dont see any harm in me trying.

The website I have created I plan to expand and actually put information and study materials for those wishing to learn to fly in real life. For example I will eventually put up notes and a practice questions etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Good luck with your quest for money and with training of course. I've heard that UK is one of the most expensive countries for flight training. Why don't you go to Ireland or Belgium instead. Paying 70,000 Euros is still less than 70,000 Pounds. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Trust me I have looked into the various avenues for the First Officer Training. The British economy and current status of the Euro means that it is just as expensive now to train in Europe. Without going into detail there are numberous other costs with training further away from home.

I looked into PTC in ireland which is about the cheapest. On further investigation though there are alot of hidden costs, CAA fees, accomodation etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Did you consider CTC? If not, why not? It has a 100% employment rate into commercial airlines and has a favourable financial setup in that the airline pays for the majority of your training whilst you are under their employ. Besides, it is one of the best flight training schools in the world.

It's not easy, only the top 4% of applicants get accepted.

Pro Member First Officer
Concorde105 First Officer

99jolegg wrote:

It's not easy, only the top 4% of applicants get accepted.

Uh oh...

Pro Member First Officer

I have applied. I have sent of applications for a number of places. I am currently waiting for them to respond. I feel that my qualifications stand me in good stead.

I am 20 years of age. I have good School higher results and an HND in mechanical engineering. Work experience as part of the HND totalling one year, acting as a trainee engineer on the 3 of the worlds biggest Ro-Ro vessels, regularly monitoring and maintaining a £10 Million engine. A Private Pilots licence and a full clean drivers licence.

Without being disrespectful to "Concorde105", you can not think like that. At the end of the day somebody has got to get the place. You just have to be confident in your abilities, fully dedicate yourself and apply.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Tartanaviation wrote:

I have applied. I have sent of applications for a number of places. I am currently waiting for them to respond. I feel that my qualifications stand me in good stead.

I am 20 years of age. I have good School higher results and an HND in mechanical engineering. Work experience as part of the HND totalling one year, acting as a trainee engineer on the 3 of the worlds biggest Ro-Ro vessels, regularly monitoring and maintaining a £10 Million engine. A Private Pilots licence and a full clean drivers licence.

Without being disrespectful to "Concorde105", you can not think like that. At the end of the day somebody has got to get the place. You just have to be confident in your abilities, fully dedicate yourself and apply.

Education has very little to do with their selection process. It will only play a part in Phase 1, the application screening. Thereafter, it's all about teambuilding, motivation, drive, determination, integrity, honesty and whether you fit their profile.

I'm pending at Phase 3 which I'll do in the first few weeks of June. Let me know if you want some info. I don't visit here too much, but I'm at FSF if you need info.

Pro Member First Officer

Thank you for the reply again. The factors you raised I feel I can fullfill in the good sense, although I know I wont be the judge of that.

That would be good if I can ask you for information, I would really appreciate that. I will try to contact you when I need some more specific information. Thanks again.

(All the best with your application)

Pro Member First Officer

I just thought I would give you a small update. I passed the initial screen process of stage one. I have a booking now for the combined phase 2 and 3 on the 24th of June in Bournemouth

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll be down there doing Phase 3 around that time too. Good luck!

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

i dont know if this applies with students in different countries but you can see if the airforce academy will let you in because the airforce academy pays for you to go to college there but only 240 student will get that package. just an option. if you can get in you will have to fly to the US but it is better to pay $2000 than 20,000

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks 99jolegg. All the best with your progress at phase 3 as well!

Pro Member Chief Captain

How did the assessment go?

Pro Member First Officer

Hello. It went well thanks. One or two of the aptitude tests were quite tricky but I passed and progressed to the interview. That went as smooth as I could of hoped for. I recieved an email today asking me to attend phase four for the 737 sim check at Nursling.

How did things go with yourself?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Check your PMs 👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...