Best Joystick

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

I have Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and would like to purchase a quality joystick. I am looking at the Microsoft line of joysticks. Is there any particular one that I should look at? Or maybe I should look at a different brand? Thanks for any suggestions.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

hello,
i am using Logitech Extreme Pro 3d and its pretty good. I have tried the logitech forcefeedback and I didnt like it much...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Here is a good post about sticks.
I understand that saitek has a new one out, I think a X54, not sure about the #.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/2124/more-on-joysticks/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Euprax Trainee

I use a Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback. I'm hooked on the force feedback. The rumbling you feel when you're taxiing on grass vs. on a runway (among other effects) adds an extra layer of realism that I wouldn't want to be without. Also, if you fly combat sims, it's a must have.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Microsoft Force Feedback 2 for me. I agree with euprax, the difference it makes is great. If you fly through a turbulent storm, your arm certainly takes a beating! If you try to make a turn your aircraft can't handle, you'll know it. Possibly one of the biggest advantages you'll have is when you decide to fly the helicopters. They're a very touchy aircraft, and depend on sensitivity to the aircrafts movements as well as subtle movements. Learning with a force feedback usually cuts the learning curve dramatically.

crosscheck9 Guest

I have the logitech attack 3. I think its meant for combat flight sim, but i dont care. its pretty simple. No rudder control on it, but i got used to the num pad. If you want to go with something, useful, simple, and inexpensive, I suggest the logitech attack 3

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Hi! I am back. I extend my appologies to everone who has missed me.School started Monday and I haven't had time to visit the site. Anyway, about the joystick. I don't like the Microsoft joysticks. I am always hearing of problems with them. They are also pretty expensive. I don't know how much you want to spend, but you can get really good joysticks for about $60-75. I would suggest looking at the Logitech Joysticks. I have a Logitech WingMan strike Force 3D pro. It is awesome! I love it. Mine cost 75 dollars. It is compatable with Windows 98, 2000, and Windows ME. I have Windows XP, though. My friend, who knows alot about computers came over and helped me install it. He had some CD that made my joystick compatable with my computer. I didn't watch too closely on how he was doing in. (I was too busy getting his lemonade and sandwitch. lol.)

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

CH Yoke and Pedals, now we are talking realism 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

That is if you are willing to spend alot of money. 😂

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

I bought the Microsoft Sidewinder Pro Plus 2 off of E-bay for $19.95 plus $12 for shipping. If I stay with this simulator hobby, which I probably will for a while, I will probably invest in a flight yoke and rudder pedals. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I posted an article here reviewing some great joysticks:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4684/

Feel free to comment on the article over there.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...