Captain Sim - "Legendary C-130 Hercules" Part 1 -

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

As an appetizer and teaser a review of a more independent nature ➡

Never before have I come across an add-on product that has caused such strong feelings on the Avsim forums as the Captain Sim “Legendary C-130”. With this in mind, I have decided to review this product in two stages. First, I will look at this aircraft and its features as it is available from the developer’s site. This will give today’s prospective purchasers an idea of what they are getting for their money.

Criticisms of Captain Sim in the past have been their alleged attitude to customer’s problems and also, (for this project in particular), the high retail price. I have heard several forum users state that “nobody can justify an add-on that is priced higher than the platform program it uses”, in this case MSFS 2004. Add to this mix a development period of three years and many delays, you can see why this normally “benign” FS community of ours has gotten a little “hot under the collar” with the “Captain Sim Legendary C-130”.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/1005/C130/C130.htm

Regards,
Rick 😀

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Criticisms of Captain Sim in the past have been their alleged attitude to customer’s problems and also, (for this project in particular), the high retail price. I have heard several forum users state that “nobody can justify an add-on that is priced higher than the platform program it uses”, in this case MSFS 2004. Add to this mix a development period of three years and many delays, you can see why this normally “benign” FS community of ours has gotten a little “hot under the collar” with the “Captain Sim Legendary C-130”.

While the price is a bit steep, the idea that addons shouldn't be more than the price of the base program, are bogus. The ratio of those who own FS to those who own any specific addon is huge. Producers of software that sells in smaller numbers. can't afford drastically lower selling prices.

If I have any complaint with CaptainSim, it is with their bonehead installation program. which if it can't connect with their site, makes 3 rapid attempts and shuts down, rather than popping up a window and saying, "I can't connect....let me thru your firewall."

The fact that paypal isn't a bank means it isn't subject to the same regulations, and can act in an arbitrary and capricious manner.

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

[quote="CrashGordon"]

Tailhook wrote:

Before accusations of plagiarism start flying about it should be made clear that the remarks should not be attributed to Tailhook but are in fact from a review by Trevor Clark, an Avsim Staff Reviewer which were contained in the full review, which Tailhook supplied the link for.

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

I purchased this addon yesterday and I must say im a little disapointed with it, simply because I found it munched through my framerates like Paris Hilton munches through her co-stars.

The aircraft are fantastic with all the little extras and the detail, maybe its just my pc which is almost a year old now:-

my pc has the following specs:-

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+,
2.21GHZ 1.50GB RAM,
ATI Radeon 256mb

Ive spent ages tweaking my display settings on FS9 to get them just as I like so theres no way im gonna start messing around with them again to get this addon using sensible framerates, so i will be putting CaptainSim C130 back on Ebay.

Most of the freeware C130s available are just as good anyway in my book

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Unless you are addicted to the V/C, configure the Herk to use the 2D panels only. The only thing you'll lose is the wing views which are nothing but eye candy. You'll save a lot of resources.

That said, if you really think the freeware versions are as good, I can only say get the grime off your monitor and replace your $9.95 speaker system.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...