Engines of the 747

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

It seems like the 2 outer engines of each wing of the 747 are "bent" a little inwards. Why is this?

Just curious, thanks in advance 🙂

edit: I think this goes for the airbus A340 as well

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I've just had a look at some pictures of 747s and can't notice any difference in the positioning of the engines Dont Know

If there is a difference, the only reason I think it would be for is structural purposes and thrust efficiency purposes. If the engines further away are 'bent' a little inwards towards the fuselage then it provides greater thrust to a centralised point at the centre of the fuselage, rather than 4 different streams of 50000lbs of thrust which would seem more inefficient for moving an aircraft of that size 😉

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

i also can't see what you are talking about, is there a particular image that you could show us to demonstrate what you mean?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

ok, check out this aircraft comparison model, and study the engines of the 747. (scroll a bit down to see it)

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/5851/worlds-biggest-plane/

It seems that the outer engines are bent inwards (to me it's quite clear), and it might seem that the inner engines also are bent a bit inwards, not sure about them though.

I'll try to get some better shots etc. if you can't see it!

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

i see what you mean here, but is that just a mistake in the picture?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

it could be, but as I already said I have always thought the engines were a little bent because that's the way I've always seen it (after watching videos, flying in one myself, etc..) so I think it's less likely to be a coincidence.. but maybe it is

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

i really don't know, i'll pay special attention the next videos or pictures of 747's i see

flightcheck Guest

I would say its just the picture. WIth all the layers on it, it can play tricks with your eyes, and the different angles of the wings will do that. The 747's engines are straight 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

On real world planes, it might also be the perspective of the swept back wing that makes the engines look out of place, because it isn't a straight line back; it is slightly curved 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

POSKY never fails!

Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

You'll notice in the last picture that the all 4 engines are slightly altered to face the fuselage. I still think that its so that there is a uniform point where the product of thrust meets - if that makes sense. I think it aids in acceleration. If you imagine the engines pointing out in the other direction, thrust would be away from the centre of the aircraft - the heaviest part needing most thrust - so more thrust would be needed to move the aircraft.

Hope that makes sense, and I'm only guessing 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

Thanks Jon! I think I'll have to agree with your conclusion, it sure does sound pretty logical.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...