PMDG FMC Issue.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

I'm having a problem with using the FMC during the last few stages of the flight. This is what I do usually.
1. Input flight details such as airport Origin and Destination.
2. Input weight and flap details.
3. Set departure runway.
4. Choose correct speeds and altitude.
etc...(some other standard stuff like speed rest...)

The only thing I leave to last is the Arrivals section. Now I tried doing the same flight twice to see if I'd done something wrong but everytime the ATC tells me on what runway to land whilst I'm in air, I go to the arrivals section choose the runway and then it creates a DISCONTINUITY which I can't manage to remove (as when I click on the line below the DISCONTINUITY and click on the one where it says THEN it keeps saying the same thing).

The flight I do is from Schiphol (EHAM) to Heathrow (EGLL) and when I choose runway 09L, I have in my ACT ROUTES: EGLL, IAA93, DISCONTINIUTY, RW09L, IAA?? (can't remember this one).
And when I try to input RW09L into the DISCONTINUITY it keeps saying DISCONTINUITY INSRTD AFTER IAA93.

Can someone help me with this problem? Could it be the FMC giving errors?

Thanks.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Pappy55 Trainee

There must be 100 posts like yours..

But I shall help because i know how frustraiting the PMDG's can be at first.

Which PMDG aircraft are you on about?

For the 747 read this
http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/

and for the 747 NG
[/url]http://users.telenet.be/fulcrum/tngfs/PMDG737NGTutorial.pdf[url]

There are also some really good videos on youtube

I recomending reading the Tutroials (type raiting lessons) on the pmdg site too.

I am still learning all the time as well, I keep finding out small things i never knew before.

Hope these help

*edit*
just realised what problem you have

in the legs page where it said 'route disconunity'

Press del and hit the button for the LSK button where it sais it and it should link up.

[/url]

Pro Member First Officer

Pappy55 wrote:

Press del and hit the button for the LSK button where it sais it and it should link up.
[/url]

Pappy55, can you try and rephrase that sentence?
And about the tutorial, I had tried it but it the thing is sometimes I can clear the discontinuities (i.e. a flight from LEMG to LEMD) but other ones I can't (i.e. the one above).

Pro Member Trainee
Pappy55 Trainee

ok in the legs page you should have the list of waypoints..

it's been a while since i flown but you should have somthing that vaguly resembles this in the LEGS pages

wp01
wp02
wp03
wp04
--route discontinuity--
wp6

on the fmc press the 'DEL'
then press the button to the left side of the screen that corosponds
to --route discontinuity--.

it 'should' then remove the --route discontinuity-- and link up the waypoints.

Without actually seeing your problem its hard to tell.
But i hope this helps you.

Can you post screen shots of the fmc and show what you are doing?

-pappy

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Pappy55, I'll try that the next time and will show a screenshot. By the way, usually the way I would attempt to remove the discontinuity would be to , in your case, select wp6 and click on the discontinuity. In this way it would move the points all up and link them.

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

I fly 737s for real. The FMCs give a discontinuity when the computer can't figure out where you want to go next(most likely because there is more than one way or no defined way to get to the next waypoint) . To get rid of it, you must select the next point you want to go to after the discontinuity. Below the discontinuity there should be a series of waypoints. Select the next point you want to go to by pressing the button next to the waypoint name. That should put the waypoint name in the scratchpad at the bottom. Next, select the button next to the word discontinuity. That should get rid of the discontinuity by making the waypoint you selected next in line. However, you still have one more step and that is to hit the execute button before this will take.

Don't get too wrapped up in the FMC. In the latter stages of the descent and transition to approach, we don't really use the FMCs all that much and start flying off the instruments that define the approach.

Pro Member Trainee
renesis Trainee

Hi Mc,

The problem is that the PMDG won't allow some discontinuities to be removed - or so it seems. Although the FMC is acurately modelled, it is not a replica.

Mc has a problem with removing a route discontinuity which occurs after he selects the Arrival or IAP - is this correct? If so then i guess his initial route in the LEGS page might look something like this:

EHAM
>HSD
>REFSO
>TIMEX
>XAMAN
>LOGAN
>TRIPO
>MANGO
>WESUL
>LAM
EGLL

He wants to fly the 09L into Heathrow. So by pressing DEP/ARR he is presented with his choices. I assume he would go for the LAM3A arrival with the LAM TRANSistion (conveniently as this is the last point on his route). So, he makes the selections and takes a look at his LEGS page which now looks like this:

EHAM
>HSD
>REFSO
>TIMEX
>XAMAN
>LOGAN
>TRIPO
>MANGO
>WESUL
>LAM
-----THEN-----
>LOGAN
>TRIPO
>SABER
>BRASO
>LAM12
>LAM
>LAM275D
>(LAM275D-7)
>INTC
>IAA7.5
>RW09L

You can see the problem with the "new" route - it duplictaes itself. This might not be easy to spot if you have already overflown these waypoints. If he tries to insert LOGAN into the discontinuity then he see a message like this:

DISCO INSRTD ATER LAM

He cannot clear the DISCO using the conventional method. Actually, he cannot insert a waypoint that would occur PRIOR to LAM on the usual flightplan. He has to scroll down to find the "second" LAM then select the wapoint after that - in this case >LAM275D and pull that in to fill the DISCO. The FMC is much happier with this ( as it makes more sense than going back along the route you've just flown).

So, if you get an "unfillable" DISCO you are probably trying to sequence a waypoint which is unsequencable - the solution is to scroll down and find the next logical waypointand in doing so you will find that the error in you route is obvious.

Hope this helps.

P.S.

you mention,

"The flight I do is from Schiphol (EHAM) to Heathrow (EGLL) and when I choose runway 09L, I have in my ACT ROUTES: EGLL, IAA93, DISCONTINIUTY, RW09L, IAA?? (can't remember this one).
And when I try to input RW09L into the DISCONTINUITY it keeps saying DISCONTINUITY INSRTD AFTER IAA93."

It looks as though the route sequence is messed up. Try "deleting" IAA93 first before calling up RW09L. Because you have so few waypoints to deal with it is harder. Also, make sure you are not calling up portions of your Missed Approach Procedure!!

Pro Member First Officer

Renesis, I usually don't have that many waypoints in my flight...just departure and arrival (:S) with a few in between for the descent/approach. By what it seems perhaps what you're saying is correct; the sequence in my waypoints are messed up.
Btw, how do you choose so many waypoints for the flight? Is it automatic or do you manually select them because in the Flight Planner I always do a "Direct GPS" flight?

Prozac 919, I also use the same procedure for the approach.

Pro Member Trainee
renesis Trainee

I select IFR and AIRWAYS routing from the FS2004 planner which gives you a more structured route and hence more waypoints. Print off the flight log and then enter them into the FMC during pre-flight.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...