Addons for PMDG

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

I am having a difficult time trying to get two addons for the PMDG 747-400X in FSX. PMDG did not bother to incorporate a GPS or a MAP like FS9 did. When flying at night and you lose the FMC in the PMDG 747 you might as well jump out as there is no way to bring up a map or even the GPS to search for another airport. I wonder why PMDG left these two items out as they would be a great asset to their program and add a little more reality, at least in my humble opinion.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman....Thanks for the reply but I am a little confused and perhaps I stated my question wrong. Here is the scenario... Your flying along at 5000 feet with overcast conditions right to the ground and visibiliy less than 1 mile. Suddenly there is total failure of the FMC and it cannot be programmed. Since you cannot tell where you are, it would be nice to have a GPS and MAP so you could locate another airport through the overcast. Unfortunately PMDG makes it difficult if not impossible to add a GPS or a MAP, something I would like to do along with a radar altimeter that reads continuously. Sometimes I send things too quickly before making sure they make sense to the end user.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman.... Thanks for the link to the GPS installation instructions. Unfortunately even this simple program did not allow me to insert a GPS into any of PMDG aircraft. PMDG really has things tightened up as far as their panels are concerned. For example, if you use the Flight Simulator Panel Editor and look at the panel for the 747-400X, all the gauges will be outlined with a Magenta outline. Further, if you click on one of the Magenta squares and obtain the properties of the gauge and then do a computer search, you will come up with nothing found in the entire computer. So it appears their gauges are imbedded with an extension that is encoded therefore FSPS cannot read it and Windows7 cannnot either so at the moment I cannnot install any important 3rd party gauges. Each and every default plane in FSX has a GPS gauge, even the ultralight so why PMDG decided not to put one in their planes is beyond me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Found this on the net and copied it, I didn't change it at all.

You can do this by editing the panel .cfg. Add a new window in sequential order in the main panel option, and enter:

[Window0X]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=300,460
position=0
visible=0
zorder=8
ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=gps!gps, 0,60,300,400

Copy this and paste it in your cfg. You should see a new window choice in the "VIEWS" menu. Change the X to what ever sequential number you need. Enjoy!

Do be advised though, the 747's usually don't have it like this, but you can add it for sim versions - I find it easier to fly with it too on the much more complex sims like the Level D-767, just wanting to start to get into that one again.... By the way, this method works on ALL aircraft....

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
W3CPR First Officer

Hi Radarman.... I installed the GPS in the panel.cfg file of the PMDG 747-400 and used the next sequential number which was window 21. I copied and pasted the window file verbatum in the PMDG panel. I then went to the flight simulatorX and selected the PMDG Boeing 747-400. When it came on the screen I then pressed the ALT key and brought up the overhead menu bar. I clicked on VIEW and selected everything on the menu including NEW VIEWS and did not see the GPS anywhere so I clicked on everything and it was nowhere to be found. Perhaps I am doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Dont Know Got me.
As I said, all I did was copy and paste.

See if any of these help.

This is part one of a series of videos he made.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...